Alba is a town of Piedmont, in the province of Cuneo. It is considered as the capital of the hilly area called The Langhe, of which it is the capital. It is famous for the production of truffles, peaches and especially wine. Also the great food industry Ferrero was founded and still exists there. The origin of Alba is Roman, as demonstrated by the tracks of the original polygonal form that includes the old wall, the remains of some buildings you can still visit, appreciating the style of construction with marvel and mosaics.
AlbaThe Palace Comunale (13th century) and the Palace of the Bishop represent another important artistic aspect of the city. Alba was named the town of the hundred towers and actually at present many towers built between the 14th and 15th centuries can be observed. The Roman style is well represented by the Cathedral of Saint Lawrence (the Duomo), built in the 12th century, probably over one of the holy building of the Roman age. It was renovated in the 15th century by the bishop Andrea Novelli but many works have been making on it since there. The aspect it shows nowadays is due to the renovation of the last century. Inside, the church houses a work of great artistic interest, the area dedicated to the chorus carved in wood by Bernardino Fossati in 1512 and the bell tower, 12th century, completely original.
Analysing the Gothic aspect of the city, we stress the nice Church of Saint Dominic (13th – 14th century), probably the richest artistic track of the entire city. Who loves art recognizes inside a triple arch, a polygonal apse and Renaissance frescos. When Napoleon conquered Alba, the church was used as a stable but was reconsecrated in 1827. Baroque has its space too, due to the Church of Saint John the Baptist which conserves the Virgin of Grace by Barnaba da Modena and the Virgin with the Saints by Mancino d’Alba (from 14th to 16th century). The Municipality Museum and the Archaeological and Natural Sciences Museum are the open museums of Alba.